ONE-DAY PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT COURSE
Holding students, parents or staff accountable for bad behaviour and breached expectations. For School Principals, Assistant Principals, School Leaders and School Business Managers.
Michael Hawton is a psychologist, trained teacher and author. He has worked in the Family Court. He is a highly-experienced mediator and has developed several nationally-recognised parenting and teacher PD courses. These programs have been taught to over 100,000 professionals, parents and teachers, since 2006.
Tuesday 28 March 2017, Professional Learning Institute, Timsbury Road, Glenorchy - Register link https://taspa.schoolzineplus.com/event/36
Thursday 30 March 2017, Penguin District Centre, Penguin - Register link https://taspa.schoolzineplus.com/event/37
Friday 31 March 2017, Tailrace, Waterfront Drive, Riverside - Register link https://taspa.schoolzineplus.com/event/38
Time 8.30am – 4.30pm
$389.00 – TPA & IST Members
$469.00 – Other/Non Members
- Training in how to conduct difficult conversations using a script to achieve accountability
- A text book and manual
- Lunch and refreshments
- A terrific opportunity to spend time with other leadership teams
Expected learning outcomes:
- Improved knowledge of how to negotiate a solution to a problem using a scripted mediation process.
- Better understanding of how to remain less affected by someone becoming frustrated and how to manage their emotional distress.
- Key ideas to progress the conversation towards a pre-planned outcome.
- Practical demonstrations of principals managing difficult parent behaviour. What to do and what to say.
- Readings & literature for follow-up research.
- Why people overreact.
- Self-control factors in adults and young people.
- How ‘frustration tolerance’ develops in people.
- What to tolerate: sorting out what to let go ‘through to the keeper’ and what needs your attention.
- Key principles of customer service management.
- What people will do if you challenge them.
- A step-by-step process to address ‘a problem’.
- How to tame tigers - effectively dealing with offensive behaviour.
- A video demonstration of the concepts applied to a tough conversation between a parent and a principal.